- About Us
- Our Purpose
- The IGTO Leadership
- Our Team
- Our Legislation
- Our guidelines and protocols
- Our Responsibilities
- Information Publication Scheme
- Request for information under the FOI
- Disclosure Log – Documents Released Under FOI
- Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) Register
- Executive Remuneration
- Legal Services Expenditure Statement
- Public Interest Disclosure Scheme
- Audit and Risk Committee
The Inspector-General of Taxation and Taxation Ombudsman (IGTO) is an independent Officer appointed by the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia to lead an important free service to assist the Australian community with the tax system. We seek to improve taxation administration and help you with complaints about the administrative actions of the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). We are completely independent from the ATO and the TPB.
We are dedicated tax experts and professionals (lawyers, accountants and economists) who understand the tax system. We help to improve taxation administration by:
- assisting taxpayers with enquiries about their tax and getting the assistance they need;
- investigating complaints by taxpayers and their representatives about the ATO and the TPB; and
- reviewing the operation of the tax administration laws and system, and reporting (publicly) our recommendations to the Minister, Government, Parliament, ATO and TPB.
Our services are free to all taxpayers – unrepresented individuals, tax practitioners, directors and businesses, whether directly or through their representatives. If you are unsure whether we can assist you, please contact us.
The following is an overview of our function: