- About Us
- Our Purpose
- The IGTO
- Our Team
- Our Legislation
- Our guidelines and protocols
- Our Responsibilities
- Information Publication Scheme
- Request for information under FOI
- Disclosure Log – Documents Released Under FOI
- Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) Register
- Executive Remuneration
- Legal Services Expenditure Statement
- Public Interest Disclosure Scheme
- Audit and Risk Committee
- Gifts and Benefits Register
Inspector-General & Taxation Ombudsman
Ms Karen Payne
LLB MComm BComm CTA FCA Solicitor
Ms Karen Payne was appointed Inspector-General of Taxation & Taxation Ombudsman commencing on 6 May 2019.
She leads the Taxation Ombudsman complaints management service for taxpayers and advisers and the Inspector-General of Taxation’s review and public reporting function, both of which are directed at improving the tax administration system for all taxpayers.
Ms Payne was previously a Member of the Board of Taxation as well as the inaugural Chief Executive Officer of the Board of Taxation. She was formerly a partner with MinterEllison, specialising in corporate and international tax for mergers and acquisitions, and capital raising for the financial services, mining, energy, and utilities sectors. Her career includes a broad range of experience (legal, accounting, audit, education and tax return preparation) across a diverse range of taxpayers (including individuals, trusts, companies and partnerships).
She brings a wealth of experience and extensive networks to the role of Inspector-General having worked with a range of government and private stakeholders as well as the legal and tax profession, and many industry bodies.
Ms Payne is a solicitor admitted in New South Wales and is a member of:
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- The Tax Institute
- Australian Institute of Company Directors