Before you contact us
We are responding appropriately to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) risks, including social distancing, quarantining and self-isolation. Should the risks escalate, we will instruct our staff to work remotely. If this occurs, access to our tax complaints service will be limited to our web form and communication limited to email. Further escalation may require us to temporarily suspend our service.
If this occurs, we shall leave an updated message on our complaints telephone line – 1300 IGT TAX (1300 44 88 29).
As always, we request that you seek to resolve your complaint in the first instance directly with either the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). Please note that you can contact either as follows:
- the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) on 1800 199 010 or on the ATO complaints web page; or
- the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) on the TPB complaints web page.
Currently, we aim to contact you within 10 business days of receiving your complaint. Additional delays may be experienced if further actions to manage COVID-19 risks are required. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding.
Please have the following ready:
- your Tax File Number (TFN);
- your personal details (for example - your name and contact details);
- an explanation of which ATO or TPB actions have caused you concern and how those actions have impacted you;
- the main facts, relevant dates and any supporting documents;
- what you have done to try to resolve your complaint;
- where you are at now - the result to date; and
- the outcome you want from your complaint.
If you are lodging this complaint on behalf of another person, we will need to confirm that you are authorised by that other person to discuss their affairs. We have prepared a standard authorisation form which may be accessed through the Complaint Form. You don't need to be a registered tax agent – provided you are authorised to assist.